Conduct in class:
- Wear clothes you feel comfortable dancing in
- Don’t chew gum in class
- Do not talk to each other while the instructor is speaking to the group
- Speak up if you need translation (or if the instructor just needs to slow down)
- Try to be on time (if you are more than 10 minutes late, you must do either 5 push-ups or 10 sit-ups before you can participate)
- Stay focused and work hard
- Participate in all exercises and follow instructions
- Practice the technique/step we are working on, even if you feel you have already mastered it
- Always rotate partners when instructed to
- Ask lots of questions! (the instructor might wait until after class to answer)
- Practice difficult techniques at home so you are prepared for the next lesson
- Inform your instructors if you know you will miss lessons
- Keep breathing!
Conduct at parties:
- Anyone can ask anyone else to dance.
- Anyone can refuse a dance for any reason.
- Maintain proper hygiene.
- Ask the names of people you dance with.
- Talk to and dance with beginners. Make them feel welcome.
- You can make a request to the DJ, but don’t touch their equipment.
- It’s not a nightclub. We get together to share specific dance styles. If you are not interested in those dances, please find somewhere else.
- Don’t criticize another dancer’s technique, unless they are hurting you or making you feel uncomfortable.
- Speak up if someone is dancing with you inappropriately. If you don’t want to tell them, you can always tell an organizer.
- NO AERIALS OR STUNTS ON THE DANCE FLOOR!!
- The Swing Experience teachers are in control at the parties to ensure everyone’s comfort and safety. If they ask you to stop doing something, stop doing it. If they ask you to leave, leave.
Code of Conduct in detail (Adapted from Lindy Focus website)
The Swing Experience is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone. All attendees, instructors, staff, and volunteers are required to comply with the following code of conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout all classes, parties, and events. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
The Swing Experience is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable dance experience for everyone, regardless of gender expression, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity or religion (or lack thereof). We do not tolerate harassment or assault of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery in social situations is not appropriate for any event venue, including dances, workshops, competitions, Twitter, Facebook, and other online media. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of The Swing Experience staff.
No forms of harassment will be tolerated. The key to sexual harassment is that its reception is more important than the harasser’s original intent. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments (related to gender expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion), sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of classes and dances, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, The Swing Experience staff may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event with no refund.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of staff immediately. You may speak to us in person or via e-mail to email@example.com
The Swing Experience staff will be happy to help participants contact local law enforcement, provide escorting from the building, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance and your safety
PLEASE CONTACT SOMEONE IF YOU NEED HELP. BE SAFE, BE RESPECTFUL, AND ENJOY YOUR EXPERIENCE!